Friday, February 25, 2011

Bed Rest

I guess the word is out... yep I'm on bed rest :( It all started on our anniversary weekend, which is Feb 12th. We have been married for 6 years now!! It's crazy how time flies! I had planned on doing a cute post showing pictures of all the different temples we have gone to for our anniversaries (our tradition is to go to a new one for each anniversary), but since I got put on bed rest I can't really go searching for all those pics anymore. Anyways we went up to Manti for our anniversary, we have both seen the outside of the temple but not the inside so we figured we could still count it as a new one. Kira is going to college at Snow, so like 5-10 min away so we got to go visit her and see her apartment and everything. Friday we went to dinner and a movie up there, then planned on going to the temple Saturday morning and heading home. Well when we woke up Saturday I was feeling really funny and was kind of shaky. I took a shower I started getting ready thinking it was just cause I hadn't eaten yet. But I still didn't feel right even after eating. Also every time I bent over I would get a sharp pain in my head. So we ended up not going in the temple, we just walked around the outside and took some pics then headed home. Even just the little walk around the temple had me pretty winded. I already had my regular doctor appt set for Wednesday so I figured I would just take it easy til then and hope it went away. It didn't. Wednesday came around and I was getting ready for the appt (having to sit down in between shower, blow drying hair, etc.) and my sister called and one of her kids was throwing up so I decided I would rather not risk getting Hunter sick so made some calls and couldn't get ahold of anyone to watch Hunter. So I called the doctors office and rescheduled for the next Wednesday, then asked about the head pains I was getting. The nurse told me that no matter what time I ended up being able to come I needed to be seen that day and they would just work me in whenever I could find a babysitter.
If that doesn't put you in a panic I don't know what does! Luckily just a few minutes after that my sister in law called me back and let me bring Hunter right over. (Thanks so much!) I headed over and was actually only about 20 min after my scheduled time! On my way over my friend that had told me to go to this doctor called and said that she was being started the next day cuz her blood pressure was a little high and I think also that the baby wasn't growing as much which had happened with her first. She also said that she had been getting headaches because of the blood pressure. I new right then that that was probably what was going on with me and I was probably going on bed rest.
I had barely had time to sit down before they called me back for my appointment, I hadn't even had time to calm my huffing and puffing from going up the stairs to their office! They checked my blood pressure and it was 151 over 114. The nurse looked dumb founded when she looked at the monitor and she stared at it for a minute before she finally wrote the numbers down. I think she couldn't believe it was that high. She then said wow your blood pressure is really high! Then walks me back to a room and my doctor happened to be about to walk in a room and saw us coming so to be nice said how are you. I of course just say I'm fine and his nurse looks at him shoves my chart at him and says except for really high blood pressure. He just looked at it and said ya that is a little high but didn't really seem all the concerned. Then we round the corner and there is his nurse practitioner and several other workers and they all stare at me as I walk by like I'm about to drop dead any minute. After asking me a whole bunch of extra questions they have me lay down on the bed til the doctor came in and took my blood pressure again. It had gone down some from laying so that was good, but just to make sure nothing else was going on he had me get more blood work done right after my appt (which all came back good) and then I had to come back the next day for an ultrasound (the baby was still growing good and by the measurements are guessing that it weighed about 5 1/2 lbs) and also had to get some steroid shots to help the babies lungs develop in case we have to deliver early. They had to do 2 shots 24 hours apart and I got the first on Thursday after my ultrasound. When I went in on Friday thinking I was just getting the shot and then going home, his nurse checked my blood pressure 3 times (once on her machine, then once manually, and once again after she had me lay down for a little bit.) It was still kind of high so she called the doctor and he had me go over to labor and delivery to be monitored.
Again totally panicked me. She didn't tell me why I was going over there really she just came back in the room from calling the doctor and said he wanted me to go to labor and delivery and she would walk me over there (there building is connected to the hospital) so she picked up my purse and started walking. Well by this time it was like 3:00 and I knew Ben was leaving to go on a scout camp out sometime between 3:00 and 3:30, so I panicked and called him before I even really knew why I was there and I'm sure I panicked him too. It turned out they just had me sit on the monitors for about an hour and a half and my blood pressure kept going down so they sent me home to be on bed rest again. My friend who is due a week before me happened to text me to see how I was doing right after I hung up with Ben and she happened to be a couple blocks away so she came and sat with me for most of the time I was there, then right as she was needing to leave my sister showed up to be with me. So I never had to be alone which was exactly we I had panicked and called Ben.
So after all of that craziness, I am on bed rest. And by bed rest they mean bed rest, they want me laying down as much as I possibly can, not sitting up, and not laying on my back. Can I just tell you it was very interesting to type while lying on my side, I've have flopped back and forth like 10 times while typing this. And your back sure starts hurting after so much time on your sides! I ended up getting sick with a cold over the weekend, so the first several days all I wanted to do was lay down so those days were pretty easy! I'm still a little stuffy but feeling a lot better to where I start doing something sitting up and then remember and lay back down. I still do feel the effects of the high blood pressure if I do too much, so it really hasn't been too bad being stuck laying down.
They are having me start my one week appts now, so I saw the doctor again on this Wednesday and my blood pressure seems to be staying stable enough to keep up with the bed rest, so he is hoping we will be able to go 4 more weeks before having the baby, so that hopefully we won't have to visit the NICU at all. Since everyone has been asking me, I don't have toxemia, just high blood pressure. The high blood pressure could cause things like the placenta separating, my blood not clotting right, and stuff like that, which would all result in loosing the baby, so I am trying really hard to stay laying down even when I'm feeling just fine! So far it has been working pretty good, Hunter and me just watch lots of movies in the morning and then Ben is home before Hunter wakes up from his nap. So we are doing pretty good, I just feel bad for Ben. I don't know how well I would take it if I was doing everything around the house while he just laid around. :) He hasn't ever complained and he has been really good about trying to keep the house picked up all the time... So if anyway is needing help around the house just tell your husband you are on bed rest ;) Just kidding! It has just made me love him that much more, he hasn't ever said a word about any of it, he's even been really nice about the things he knows I'm picky about he will ask how I do it. Whenever Ben and Hunter would be going anywhere at first Hunter would tell me to go get my shoes on, know he just knows that mom is "sleeping." Although I can't really sleep, the times that I have fallen asleep he jumps on me and says "doing mom?" It's so cute. He has also gotten really snuggly and kissy with me lately which I will take all that I can get! Oh and we still don't know what we are having, she only really measured the head and the tummy when I got my ultrasound, I never even saw the legs. I think that's all the questions people have asked us... Thanks so much to all of you who have called or come by we really do appreciate it!!

3 comments:

The Stevens Family said...

Wow! i can't believe all of that happened in such a short time. I'm glad you didn't have to be alone for all the scary things. :-) However, it did make me laugh when you said you were trying to type on your side! haha! I got this image of you trying to type with one hand...lol! And-I tried saying I was on bed rest this morning so I could sleep in...it didn't work...darn it! It's probably cuz I'm not acutally prego...

Taylors said...

Oh my goodness crazy!!! You know I am in St. George and if you ever can't find a babysitter let me know and I can come pick hunter up at your doctors office and take the kids to the park until you are done....if I can help in any way let me know. I'm so sorry :( booooo for being down especially during the "nesting" time, it's nice to have someone else nest for you though :)

Jaylene said...

What a crazy story! It will be good to read it later, after this is all over, and remember the craziness. :) Glad youre doing ok, and seriously, call me to come get Hunter anytime if he's stir crazy, or you are :) Love you!!