Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why I've been MIA!

I was so on top of my blog for quite a while there and lately have been horrible! But I'm about to reveal why! After my Grandma passed away all of us Granddaughters and our mom's were going through some of her stuff. Someone found some handkerchiefs that she had crocheted the edges on. There were 6 and that is also how many of us Granddaughters there are. So we all picked one to keep as a reminder of Grandma. When we were little I think she tried to teach all of us to knit. I made a rag and 1 slipper. Yes only one. Then she chewed me out for starting something and not finishing it :) If you read my post about my Grandma then you will know that in her little English accent I mostly just thought she was funny when she would get mad. But being the sweet lady she is, she finished the other slipper for me. She also taught me how to latch hook. That one I took to. I really enjoy it and have made several rugs and even a couple of pillows out of latch hooks. I always thought growing up that I would make enough character rugs that when I had a house I would have a play room for my kids and make the carpet out of all the different rugs I had made. I don't think that's going to happen now, but I do have several rugs that I may put in the kids rooms when the basement is finished.
After I got the handkerchief I realized she had never showed me how to crochet. I felt kind of bad that I had never learned it or even had her show me how to do it. Well I have a friend that I know crochets so I decided to ask her to show me. Sorry Tami I have to admit that at first I really wasn't all that excited about it, I was just doing it because I felt bad I hadn't ever even had my grandma show me how to do it. Well I fell in love with it! I am now obsessed with it! After Tami taught me how I found a pattern for some flowers (they are the "roses" a few pictures down) and made tons of them! I have even kept some of them and hook them to headbands for Aspen. Then I searched and found this cute pattern:



I absolutely love it! I think Aspen looks so cute and it keeps her nice and warm!


The pattern was actually supposed to be for adults and it was originally going to be for my little sister but it fit Aspen instead :) So I started making an adult size one (this was at Thanksgiving) and my little sister ended up asking me to make some for her friends for Christmas! So of course I said yes and had a blast making them:


The "roses" on the left have clips so you can wear them in your hair. These headbands ended up the right size :)


Tami let me look at her patterns and she had this really cute one that I thought would be fun to make for my nieces for Christmas:


I loved how this one turned out. It was perfect for just a few lip glosses.


And this one I made a little bit bigger since this niece is a little older. Her favorite color is green. And she carried it around most of Christmas!


I had a blast making all of these but the last one I actually finished Christmas Eve. So it was a bit rushed and stressful. And since I was trying so hard to get them done before Christmas I kind of slacked on work too. So since then I haven't gotten to do any crocheting :( I've been getting caught up on work! I'm back to about where I usually am with work (I would always like to be more caught up) so I think now I will be able to get some blogging done and get from Thanksgiving to now updated! So start looking for some more posts soon!!


And Tami I just want you to know THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'm so lucky you know how to crochet and are such an awesome teacher so that I was able to learn this one last thing that brings me a little closer to my Grandma! You are an awesome friend and thanks for enduring my late night texts asking you to explain a pattern for me!

2 comments:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

Cute cute.. make me some. thanks.

no really you totally should.

brown.

I will pay you:)

The Robinsons said...

Sophie LOVES her purse and lip glosses ;) You are amazing at it! Those headbands are stinkin' cute! I want one and one for Sophie...I'll pay you too :)They would keep our freezing ears warm up here!

Love ya Mist!