Now for my family I know all of you knew exactly what this post was about from the title, to all friends you are about to hear a few stories about an amazing woman. That woman is my Grandma Robinson. She was the ripe ole age of 92 and going strong just a few months back. She definitely didn't get out and about much but she was still just as feisty as ever. Just a little bit before I had Aspen (I think a week before) she caught her foot in a chair as she was turning the lights off for bed, it tripped her, she fell to the ground and wasn't able to untangle herself. That fall caused her hip to break. They sent her to St George for surgery and then about a month of physical therapy before she was able to go home to
Kanab where she checked into the nursing home. She spent the next few months there up until Sept 6
th. She passed away peacefully, but not before having a few rough months. She ended up falling again while in the nursing home and breaking her arm, it was really hard to see all of this unfold. She was already so tiny (she claimed she was 5' 2" but by the time I stopped growing also at 5' 2" I towered over her, so I don't know if I ever even saw her at that height) but somehow she managed to get even smaller.
It was even hard for us to get her to play Scrabble with us. That was one of our families favorite games to play with her, she was amazing at it and it was always my goal to beat her, I could have cared less if someone else won as long as I had more points than her then I felt like the winner, but... I only ever beat her once. This was one of my favorite stories to tell just because of her reaction. I won the game because of 1 word.
Fet. Most of you are probably thinking that's a typo. It's not. You see I always struggled with the option of trading your letters in for your turn. Ya, sometimes you really do have crap letters, but that's your turn! No points! Just new letters! So instead when in that situation I would make up a word and hope she wouldn't challenge me. It drove her crazy. Most of the time she would challenge me, every now and then she would ignore it, of course the times she ignored it she had 50 to 100 points more than me and something big to lay down. So naturally when I put
fet down she challenged it, especially since it would give me a ton of points if she didn't. I was extremely overjoyed, excited, shocked, and a million other emotions when we found that it was a word! It means to fetch, it's the abbreviation of fetch. The rules of Scrabble say no abbreviations. But...it was the official Scrabble dictionary that said it was a word, so all because of my made up word I finally beat her!!!! After we finished the game she did pull down the Webster's dictionary and
fet is not a word in that dictionary. She was very very mad about it. Just imagine a used to be 5' 2" lady from England that had lived most of her live in
Kanab (an awesome English/southern accent) mad, she was so funny mad! I think we all loved when she was mad especially for the "idiots."
The word idiot is like a legend in our family. You aren't a member of the Robinson family until you have been called an idiot by Grandma! Somehow even though she was calling you an idiot you could still just feel the love seeping out of her! Over the weekend after she passed we got to share memories of Grandma as we gathered for her funeral and I don't think anybody missed telling an "idiot" story!

Grandpa passed away 11 years ago. That's a long time to be without your one true love. I don't have a ton of memories of Grandpa. I can remember sitting on the porch just watching the cars go by, and tripping on his oxygen cord, and that he wouldn't ever let you leave without a hug. And I can remember how he smelled. Kind of crazy the things you remember. I grew up with them living next door to me my entire life. They were always so good to me and they will both be so missed!

They had 3 children. My dad, Uncle Al, and Aunt Darlene.

For all I knew my Grandparents only ever ventured away from
Kanab to go gamble in Mesquite, and in their younger years went to the horse races. It was really fun when Darlene found all these pictures! There was one of my Grandpa at the beach (we were all guessing it was probably close to when they met) and his swimming suit was barely more than a
speedo! One of my Grandma she was in Paris (if I'm remembering right) and she was totally striking a pose! It was so fun to see these glimpses into their past!

I got to come the day before her funeral and help dress her. At first I didn't think I could and I told them so, but my sister convinced me to come and it was amazing! I didn't help, they really didn't need any but it was so cool to get to see her before! I thought it would be scary or creepy and it was the exact opposite. My sister cut her hair and my mom and Darlene dressed her. The
Mosdell's did an amazing job! Everything was so perfect and my grandma looked so peaceful. There were several times that I looked at her and could have sworn she was just taking a nap on the couch like she always did.

I don't think you could ask for a better Grandma. She always helped with anything and everything. Even if was letting us borrow the car that she never learned how to drive.

All of the great
grandkids were given paper and crayons so they could write or draw Grandma one last picture.

They all gathered around and put them in the casket with her. It was such a sweet moment to watch them all gathering around her.

The funeral program was wonderful! All the great grandchildren and 3 youngest grandchildren sang some primary songs. Hunter hid in and played with the plant next to him the whole time. After their song he sat on my mom's lap with
Talee and ended up falling asleep just sitting there! He stayed asleep through the whole thing even with
Talee occasionally trying to talk to him and then having to be passed to Al so my mom could get up to sing!

My dad, Al, Gregg, Paul, Derrick and Ryan.

Dad and Al saying their final good byes.

Grandma and Grandpa's head stone. My dad also got to do one last service of his own. He was the one that dug her grave. He used to dig most of the graves but doesn't dig any of them now. I thought it was so cool that he chose to dig Grandma's.

Of course when you get all the family together their is going to be a bit of craziness! We gathered to say our good byes to Grandma and realized that it was the first time in years that we had all been together. There was mourning for Grandma but also so much laughter!

It isn't a Robinson gathering without some handstands. And for the record I always won... Although I did always have the wall to help me and nobody else needed it. :)

And there is ALWAYS wrestling!!

We all gathered in my parents living room and really just chatted while the kids entertained us! This is Hunter and
Talee if you couldn't tell.

I loved this picture of Aspen. I actually forgot my camera so thanks to Gregg and Jennifer I have tons of pictures without ever having to take 1, thanks you guys!!

Grandma passed away leaving behind 3 children, 9 Grandchildren, 15 Great Grandchildren and 1 more on the way!
P.S. The spellchecker doesn't think fet is a word either :)
1 comment:
Love this post and all the pictures! You made me cry (not that it takes too much these days.) Will you email me the family ones that Jennifer sent you?! I want to get a new family one for my wall since mine is like a million years old! Thanks!!
Post a Comment